The Messiah

At Sanders Theater

By E. PARKER Hayden jr.

Last evening members of the Harvard Glee Club, Radcliffe Choral Society, and the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra, under the direction of Malcolm H. Holmes, presented an exceptionally fine performance of selections from Handel's "Messiah" before a full house at Sanders Theater.

It was as interesting evening. "The Messiah" is comparatively easy to sing, but extremely difficult to sing well. Last night's concert was not professional, but nonetheless at the end you felt as though you really had beard a tremendous performance. It left you with an impression of massiveness, of light, and of extraordinary perfection. No one can deny that the Orchestra and Chorus have overcome "The Messiah's" difficulties and come through with a job well done.

Of the four soloists, Cynthia Sweeney deserves the most credit. She sang the many soprano solos with a remarkable accuracy and beauty that placed her considerably above her three colleagues. Paul Tibbetts, bass, gave an excellent rendition of his brief solo, and Marion Hawkes and Robert Gartside sang well enough, though Miss Hawkes seemed not entirely familiar with her part.

In spite of an embarrassing moment when members of the Orchestra misunderstood their cues, obliging Mr. Holmes to stop the Chorus and begin the section again, both of these groups performed creditably. Particularly well done was "All We Like Sheep Have Gone Astray," a chorus demanding much from singers and players alike. Last night it was one of the most impressive spots in the entire concert.

This review could not be complete without mention of the Orchestra's first trumpeter. He played the long, difficult solo in "The Trumpet Shall Sound" almost flawlessly, which is more than can be said for some of the professional trumpeters who play on "The Messiah."

The concert will be repeated this evening at 8:15 in Sanders Theater, and will be broadcast over WHRV.