Heartaches or Harvardiana?

Heartaches are in the air these days and favorable sentiments with them. In keeping with this spirit, there are thousands who are willing to send Valentines to the Band, to show the true nature of their feelings. Yet despite their colorful history Valentines will not buy bus fares or hotel accommodations; and because nothing but sentimental aid is forthcoming, the Band has finally been forced to appeal to the University.

Two factors have forced this move: a general depletion of alumni aid, and a disappearance of HAA assistance. The alumni contribution has declined because the Band is no longer a glamorous post-war novelty, and though its marching and music are just as bright, its faddish aspect has worn off. The HAA support has fallen from $2000 in 1946 to twice at all for next year. A meagre turnout for the Virginia concert, and a University disapproval of a commercially-sponsored summer tour, point to University Hall as the only way out.

A natural pride in their independence has withheld this move as a last resort, and the red coats have tied definite conditions to their request. Aware of the handicapping features of total support, the Band is asking only for a sum to cover its Cornell and Princeton trips, predicting that record sales and concert incomes will take care of home expenses. Asking for partial aid permits them to retain some semblance of extra-curricular freedom.

If it does nothing else, disclosure that the Band has finally conquered its traditional fear of enslavement should prompt the University to meet it halfway. No student organization has received aid in the past, but music has charms that precedents do not. Furthermore, the Band is unique in that it promotes Harvard good will more effectively than any other student organization. If no aid is forthcoming, the Band will have a pretty heartless Valentine's Day.