Workshop to Air "Henry IV' On Station WHDH Tonight

Theater Workshoppers will carry "Henry IV" to the Boston air waves this evening in the first roel of a three-night radio adaptation. The same cast which staged the play last fall will enact a shortened Act I and Act II over WHDH tonight at 9:35 o'clock. The remaining acts are scheduled for Thursday and Friday evenings.

If the production is successful, HTW may cut records of the show for distribution to schools throughout the nation, much in the manner of the Orson Welles Shakespearian albums.

Since the tragedy had to be shortened to 75 minutes, special between-the-scenes continuity has been written in blank verse by Theodore Sponcer, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory. The connectives will also bridge the gaps caused by lack of scenery and stage business.

Sponcer opened the Shakespearian cycle last Monday in a special talk which outlined the plot, the development of the characters, and the significance of "Henry IV."

May Hit National Contest

The programs are being sponsored by the Lowell Institute Cooperative Broadcasting Council, which aims to adapt regular college course material for listening at home. Recordings of the show may be entered by the Institute in a national contest sponsored by Variety Magazine.