Yard Teams Bow On Four Fronts To Yale Athletes

Yale made a clean sweep of Saturday's freshman sports fare as the Elis made off with victories over the Crimson swimming, fencing, hockey, and basketball teams. It was the swordsmen's first defeat of the season.

In the curtain raiser before the Varsity contest, Moe Berg's court charges rallied in the second half, but fell short of the mark and bowed, 44 to 40, in a sloppy but enthusiastic battle. Once again Ed Smith led the scoring parade with 17 points. The winners boasted a 29 to 18 halftime bulge.

Yale's perennial swimming supremacy held away over the Crimson mermen, who salvaged only one first place in going down to a 48 to 27 defeat. The 400-yard freestyle relay quartet--Bob Tolf, Paul Tobias, Jim Dawson, and Morton Hull--picked up the losers' only five-pointer as they beat the Eli four in 3:58.6 minutes.

With the score knotted at four apiece going into the final period, the Blue sextet sent four goals past Crimson goalie Phil Clark in the third frame to triumph, 8 to 5. Anderson paced the losers with two goals.

The final event, the saber, proved to be the downfall of Rene Peroy's Freshman fencers-as they dropped a 14 to 13 decision after the score had been tied 9 to 9 going into the deciding round. Yale took the event, 5 to 4.