University Scientists Back Condon As Bridgman Hits House Committee

"Abolish the House Un-American Activities Committee," replied Percy W. Bridgman '04, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, in a violent answer yesterday to the committee's accusation that Edward U. Condon, head of the Government Bureau of Standards, is "one of the weakest links in our atomic security."

Condon was consultant to the National Defense Research Committee, of which President Conant was chairman during the war. President Conant was unavailable for comment.

A telegram expressing a vote of confidence was sent to Condon yesterday by his personal friends among the faculty. Kenneth T. Bainbridge, professor of Physics, a personal friend of Condon's since 1928, stated that the scientist was "well-fitted for his position."

Bart J. Bok, Associate Director of the College Observatory, claimed in a speech to students of Renasclacy Polytechnic. Institute that Condon was the victim of "smear technique" and that the present action of the committee was a threat to civil liberties.