Yardling Nine Falls Prey to Brown Team

Rally in Ninth Misses As Two Cross Plate

After three straight tie games, the Freshman baseball team finally made an entry in the won-and-lost columns yesterday afternoon in Providence. Unfortunately, it was in the debit side of the ledger, since Brown won a 4 to 2 decision from Warren Berg's forces. The Yardlings elected shortstop Hal Marshall captain.

The winners crowded all their runs into the sixth inning, while the Crimson struck for two in the ninth only to have its rally cut short by a double play. George Emmons went all the way for the visitors, giving up three earned runs on four hits, striking out six, and walking only three.

Bill Hayes, Brown hurler, allowed the Crimson four hits, two of them in the ninth, while setting down five batters on strikes and issuing five walks. Both Cub runs were earned.

Two Rune in Ninth

Marshall opened the ninth with a single past short, moving to second on Ed Smith's second hit of the game, a single to center. Kevin Reilly walked to lead the bases and Marshall scored when Ernie Wohler walked, Smith moving to third. Smith scored on a fielder's choice when Jim Gabler, running for Wohler walked, Smith moving to third. Smith scored on a fielder's choice when Jim Gabler, running for Wohler, and Dave Skinner were erased by a double play. Sherrill Houston was called out on strikes to end the game.

Brown registered four quick tallies in the sixth when two men were hit by Emmons, and two walks, a hit, and two Crimson errors followed. The losers came up with two double plays themselves to subdue Brown scoring threats in the fifth and seventh innings.

The Crimson Jayvees meet Suffolk University, who conquered the Varsity in a practice game earlier in the season, this afternoon on Soldiers Field. Langdon Clay or Roger Davis will pitch for the Harper-coached squad, although Dolph Samborski may want to use one of them against Holy Cross on Saturday.     R  H  E Harvard  000  000  002--2  4  3 Brown  000  004  00x--4  4  1