HYD Schedules Eisler for Civil Rights Talk Monday

Robeson "Too Busy"

Gerhart Eisler, much-publicized German communist and brother of the recently deported Hans, will speak at HYD's Civil Rights Meeting Monday evening in place of Paul Reboson, HYD officials announced last night. "Pressing speaking engagements" supporting Wallace for President will keep Robeson from the meeting.

Explaining the purpose of the meeting, Robert N. Bollah '48, one of its organizers, last night cited the Un-American Committee's Hollywood investigations and the "loyalty purge" as evidence for HYD's contention that civil rights are "gravely endangered."

Police at Meeting

"We have asked prominent men who, in our opinion, have been deprived of their civil rights to give the inside story on their experiences," he said, "and if rioters attempt to break up the meeting, it will only prove our contentions on civil rights." Meanwhile, Cambridge police said last night that they would send a sizable contingent to the forum.

Eisler is the only avowed Communist who will appear at the meeting. Recently convicted of passport violations and contempt of the Un-American Committee, he is now out on ball pending the outcome of his appeal. According to Committee head J. Parnell Thomas, Eisler was an agent of the Comintern and head of all seditious communist activities in this country.

Carl Marzani and Professor Lyman R. Bradley of N.Y.U. are the other two speakers scheduled for the meeting which will be chaired by F. O. Matthiessen, professor of History and Literature.

Marzani, a former O.S.S. and State Department employee, was dismissed for disloyalty, and for having falsified government applications.