AHC Convention Draws Alumni to Philadelphia

Theme Is Social Role of Higher Education

Alumni from all over the nation are converging on Philadelphia this week for three days of carousing and concentration at the fifty-first annual convention of the Associated Harvard Clubs, which gets under way Friday.

Although the Alumni will take time out for some barbershop quartet renditions and a few rounds of golf, the convention will take for its theme the problem of higher education in a free society. President Conant is scheduled to take a prominent role in the three days of discussion.

Officers of the University will flood the Philadelphia meeting to bring graduates up to date on present Cambridge affairs. Academic matters will be in the fore, but Alumni will also hear Art Valpey discuss matters of the gridiron at the regular business session of the conference.

Baxter to Speak

Williams College President James Phinney Baxter will join with President Conant in discussing "The Scholar's Contribution in a Free Society" at the Friday afternoon session of the convention. Along with the two educators, Alan Greff of the Rockefeller Foundation and industrialists Oliver E. Buckley and General Brehon B. Somervell form the rest of the panel.

A report on two years of General Education goes to the Alumni at another luncheon session on Saturday. Provost Buck will guide the discussion in which Benjamin F. Wright, professor of Government and chairman of the Committee on General Education, will speak. Also contributing will be John H. Finley '25, Eliot Professor of Greek, and President Conant.

Deans Will Attend

Deans of the Law, Business and Medical schools will address their graduates at a series of luncheons before the meeting draws to an end Sunday night with Pulitzer prize winning novelist John P. Marquand and President Conant addressing the final meeting.

William H. Claffin, Jr. '15, treasurer of the University, and David T. W. McCord '21, secretary of the Harvard Fund Council, will discuss the ever-present financial needs of the University before the convention draws to a close.