Kirkland Has No Sheep But That Won't Bother Deacons' Yearbook

Female View of House Included in Book

The pages won't be parchment and the subject in far from sacred but it shall come to pass on the 21st of May, that which all Kirkland House men hold holy will be published and it will be called The Deacon's Testament.

At least that's what John Mannick says and he should know for he is the editor of the Testament and says that it's the only House Yearbook at Harvard, in existence since 1936, except during the war. Sticking strictly within the Kirkland confines, the Testament goes over every entry with words, pictures and double entendros. It also mentions women.

Listed on its pages are accounts of all House athletics during the past year. Strenuous activities are also reported, such as Deacon dances, beer parties, football punches, and other hoopla races. Names of House members have crept in here and there and all the pages are numbered.

Holding fast to its unique tradition, the new Testament is also well abreast of the unique present. Following the lead of such exposes as Inside Europe, Inside Asia, and the Kinsey Report is a Deacon treatise called the Kirkland Report. Few facts are mentioned but there are all kinds of percentages and such revelations as "only 6% of Kirkland House men behave in this fashion."

Kirkland Report

Counterbalancing the Kirkland Report is a female interpretation, a "broad view" of Kirkland. This should not be confused with a comprehensive view, say the editors, but the outlook is a refreshing one (see cut) and prospective buyers are assured these pages are easy to find. Little pre-publication dope was available but it appears that although this section of the Testament is unsigned, it was written by somebody.

The Testament run to 100 pages. It was assembled by a staff of 40 during weekends, parties, and other odd moments when the editors could get together and thrash out ideas.

Tangible evidence of the same Deacon spirit that is revealed in dining hall sings and courtyard beer parties, the Testament, it seems, lacks only one thing. But one of the editors has hope for the future. "As soon as Housemaster Hammond lets us keep sheep in the courtyard," he predicts, "we will publish the Testament on parchment."

Other Houses have attempted to establish their own annuals ever since the Deacons led the way, but a lack of subscribers has always led to a demise of these ventures. Latest attempt was at Lowell last fall, but the usual failure followed.