Seven Faculty members have been elevated to higher professorial rank in the last two days, Provost Buck announced yesterday as he listed the University's annual spring crop of promotions.
Four regular full professorships, an endowed chair, and two associate professorships have been awarded, all to take effect on July 1.
Paul D. Bartlett will be the new Erving Professor of Chemistry, succeeding Arthur B. Lamb. The four new full professors will be: George Wald, professor of Biology; Harry T. Levin '33, professor of English; Willa'd Van O. Quine, professor of Philosophy; and Heinrich Schneider, professor of German.
The two other men who will be raised a notch in the Faculty hierarchy are Carroll M. Williams, to be associate professor of Zoology, and Stuart P. Atkins, promoted to associate professor of German.
Professor Bartlett has been a member of the Harvard Chemistry Department for 14 years, having been appointed full professor in 1946. He is an expert on physical-organic chemistry, and in 1939 received the American Chemical Society award for distinguished contributions to his branch of science.
Professor Wald, who is an authority on the chemistry of visual systems, joined the Biology Department in 1935. He also received recognition from the American Chemical Society in 1939, when he was named winner of the Eli Lilly and Company award.
Professor Levin, who now becomes one of the youngest full professors on the Faculty, was the recent winner of a $1000 grant from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. He is the chairman of the Department of Comparative Literature, and is best known for his book "James Joyce: A Critical Introduction."
Professor Quine is a renowned authority on logic and semantics, author of "A System of Logic," "Mathematical Logic," and "Elementary Logic," and a former Travelling Fellow, Junior Fellow, and Rockefeller Fellow. He has been a member of the Philosophy Department since 1941.
Professor Schneider is a native of Hesse, Germany, but left the Reich in 1933 after he had been dismissed from the University Library of Giessen by the Nazis