Varsity Crew Wins Sprint Crown; Track Team Takes Seventh Place

Felton Breaks Heps Record

Harvard's track team slept in a hospital at West Point last Friday night and judging from what happened at the Heps the following afternoon, maybe it should have stayed there. The Crimson, defending champion, wound up seventh out of nine colleges with a puny total' of 19 5/6 points.

Yale, helped along by a 20 point burst in the last two events, the discus and shot, beat Army for the team title by 1/6 of a point, 45 7/10 to 45 8/15. Penn, with 34 points, was third, followed by Princeton, 28; Navy 22 11/15; Columbia, 21; the Varsity; Dartmouth, 12 1/5; and Cornell, 11.

Gurley Shut Out

It wasn't a very pleasant weekend for the Crimson. Captain Frank Gurley, moving up in the last 20 yards of his 880 heat, was hit from two sides and knocked down. He didn't finish.

Pat McCormick, who was expected to get second in the 220-lows, didn't run because of a sore leg. He made the trip and warmed up on the North Stadium track, but decided the leg wasn't sound enough.

Bob Holbrook surprised everybody including himself by getting third place in the javelin with a throw of 178 feet, 3 inches, the best of his life. Teammate Don Trimble stayed home in Cambridge. On the basis of his performances this spring, shotputter Geoff Tootell, another of Coach Mikkola's "cripples," would have placed third.

Only Five Scorers

The Varsity men who did score can be counted on the fingers of one hand: Felton, Thorndike, Lockett, Torrey, and Holbrook. Felton set a new Heps record of 178 feet, 3 inches. John Thorndike finished third in the same event. Felton also got fourth place in the discuss.

Pole vaulter Bud Lockett was taken to the infirmary after he injured himself clearing 13 feet, and is now on crutches. Deprived of his three shots at 13 feet, 4 inches, he still finished in a triple tie for first, while Owen Torrey tied for fourth at 12 feet.