Draft Bill Would Take Only One Man in Five

Vets With 1 Year of Service Are Exempt

By John J. Sack

If Congress passes the Andrews Bill, every non-veteran student has a four-to-one chance of ducking the draft.

The CRIMSON computed these odds last night after viewing census figures and the terms of the bill, which passed the House Armed Services Committee on Monday by a thumping 28 to 5 vote. The measure would make men aged 19 through 25 liable for two years of military service.

Excluding veterans, most of whom are exempt from the bill, there are three million American men who fall into this age group. In its present form, however, the proposal sets a limit of 620,000 on the number of men the Army may draft.

Only 20 Percent Will Go

This means that the services can legally grab up only one man out of every five coming under the 19-to-25 year old classification.

There's one joker in these figures, but it's not an overwhelming one. Many of the non-veterans who are more than 20 years old were 4-F during the war and will presumably be exempt again.

Many 18-Year Olds

Even so, there are 1.2 million 19-year-olds who never even saw a draft board. This group alone is twice as large as the number of men the Army may induct.

As for veterans, the Andrews Bill exempts only those who (1) had one year of service prior to September 2, 1945. or (2) were wounded or decorated for bravery, or (3) have had 90 days service and are members of organized reserve units.

The measure also defers college students until they complete an academic year, while ROTC and Halloway Plan men may stay out until they begin their stipulated post-graduate service.

In the end, the service will probably take even loss than one out of every five students. If the Bill passes the House, the Senate is likely to water down the 620,000 draftees figure to its own proposal of 410,000