Girls Will Infiltrate Hitherto Celibate Stands

Bingham Reveals New Allocation System

Women will legally sit in the College cheering section--between the 50 and the 28 yard lines--for the first time in Harvard Stadium history when the Crimson football team faces Columbia on October 2.

The completely revised ticketing and seating systems necessary to accomplish this end were announced yesterday by William J. Bingham '16, Director of the Harvard Athletic Association.

Bingham decided on the change late last fall after a Student Council poll shown a majority of the student body in favor of allowing dates in the cheering section.

Seating by Classes

This year students, with or without dates will get seats from the 50 yard line north to the end zone, depending on the priority of their class--Seniors down to freshmen.

Previously, a student wishing to bring a girl friend to the game had to turn in his season cheering section ticket and buy a pair of ducats outside the all-male section. Thus, if he brought a woman to every football game in his four college years, he would never get a better seat than the 28-yard line.

The map on page one is Bingham's best guess as to how the new seating system will work out. But he emphasized that it is only a guess and will remain one until the Dartmouth game here October 23.

12 Days Needed

Because of the late starting date of the academic year, Bingham will have no time for systematic seating for the Columbia game. The following two Saturdays are away-game dates with Cornell and Army.

With applications due October 6--and tickets to be distributed starting October 18, the Dartmouth game seating plan will be the first concrete evidence of the new system. "Then we will have the 12 days we need to give everyone his correct seat allocation," Bingham said.

Since the Columbia game tickets must be handed out first-come first-serve, Bingham has arbitrarily designated the class sections as outlined on the page one map.

The class sections run up only to row PP. Rows QQ to ZZ are in the colonnade, where yard-thick pillars block large parts of the playing field from view. So the colonnade has been left to overflow freshmen and graduate students.

Two Tickets Are Limit

Under the new ticketing system, a student must submit applications before specific closing dates for individual games. His $15 season book takes care of one ticket. If he desires two he must pay for the second. But two per student is the limit.

"If groups of students want seats together, they should file applications together," Bingham said. "But if they are in different academic clases, all seats will be according to the lowest class rank," he warned. Dartmouth  "  "  ,Oct. 6 Holy Cross  "  "  ,Oct. 13 Princeton (away)  "  "  ,Oct. 13 Brown  "  "  ,Oct. 20 Yale  "  "  ,Oct. 27