Swap Gains Local Pair NSA Offices

Radcliffe Senior Chairs Region

Alice B. Gilbert, Radcliffe '49, is the new Northern New England Regional Chairman of the National Student Association--probably. She was elected at Madison, Wisconsin, after a brief caucus held on Saturday August 28, the last day of the N. S. A. convention.

Because of a provision in the Regional Constitution, her election, along with that of the new Vice-Chairmen. Ford Houghteling '50, must be confirms at the regional assembly some time in October.

Surprise Result

Miss Gilbert's election came as a surprise after a tumultuous all night session that started, Friday midnight had placed three other names in nomination for the chairmanship. Much of the furor in the pre-down conclave was the outgrowth of a regional split that had been threatening for almost a year.

Northern New England opinion had polarized around Lawrence Jaffa 3Dv., on one hand and Earl Eames of M.I.T. on the other. Jaffa was the regional chairman last year and at the time of that election had been support of a coalition in the N.S.A. including Students for Democratic Action and leading Catholic schools.

Eames' opposition started a year ago when the person elected regional vice-chairman at the national convention was not confirmed at the regional assembly, largely because of the opposition of Jaffa and Houghteling.

All Night Session

Friday's stormy caucus evidently brought the split to a head. The sun was already shining over lake Mendota, literally if not figuratively, when the session reported out the nominations of Paul L. Wright '49, Houghteling, and William Tracy of Springfield college. Jaffa was not eligible for the office on Friday night because he was running for national office on for national office on Saturday morning.

Jaffa's subsequent defeat in the national election rendered him eligible for the regional office in time for Saturday afternoon's caucus. This factor set off an intricate chain of events so complicated as to make the machinations of Tammany Hall appear amateurish. The links of this chain in the order of their forging were:

Chain of Events

1. Jaffa was nominated for regional chairman and accepted.

2. The other three candidates withdrew.

3. Miss Gilbert was nominated as the only possible candidate that was independent of both "factions."

4. Jaffa withdrew.

5. Houghteling decided to run against Miss Gilbert.

6. Miss Gilbert defeated Houghteling for the chairmanship and the loser was then unanimously elected vice chairman. Both will have a vote on the N.S.A.'s national board.

Now all that remains is the confirmation vote in October