Ticket-Gouging Upsets New Stadium Seating Program

Choice Seats for Opener All Sold

Student grifters have thrown a snag into Bill Bingham's new plan to allot Stadium seats by class standing. As a result, some Seniors will have to watch the Columbia game from the 10-yard line.

Many undergraduates traveled twice or more through the crowded lines in the basement of the Union yesterday and Monday while others bluffed their way into midfield seats by falsifying class standing. Because of this drain, all remaining Senior and Junior applicants will be pushed downfield near the north goal line.

Ticket Staff Hard-Pressed

The ticket sellers, "heavily rushed all day" under the heavy load, according to ticket manager Frank O. Lunden, were unable to check bursar's cards and prevent this doubling up. Thus a Senior could get his tickets with a coupon book and then either give his bursar's card--guaranteeing Senior section tickets--to a lowerclassman or go through himself for another pair.

In addition, some students in the Graduate Schools probably got undergraduate seats by filling in merely a numerical class on their coupons, instead of signifying their Law or Business School status.

Bingham frankly admitted that his new system has not worked out in its first week, but he expressed confidence that no such trouble would occur in the future, "For all the rest of the games, all students, whether they hold coupon books or not, will have to file applications; we'll have plenty of time to catch any doubling up or falsification of class."

Sales Predict Large Crowd

Total sales for the Columbia opener have been unusually heavy to date, according to Bingham. Traffic through the offices yesterday and Monday ran to over 3500, and both Bingham and Lunden agreed that the crowd should be well over 20,000.

The big variables affecting attendance are the weather and the Major League pennant race. If both the Red Sox and the Yankees are still in the race Saturday, their series at Fenway Park will attract many who might otherwise be watching the unveiling of Art Valpey's first Harvard team.