Businessmen Suggest New 2-Hour Meter

Would Ease Parking Congestion in Square

A proposal to install two-hour parking meters on all side streets in Cambridge has been submitted to the city by the Harvard Square Businessmen's Association." The plan is part of a current drive by local merchants to improve parking conditions in the Square.

The new meters would replace all present one-hour clocks on side streets, as well as filling the streets that now have no meters at all, it was explained yesterday by Richard A. Dow '35, president of the Businessmen's Association.

Would Aid Shoppers

"The present one-hour limit on side streets doesn't give the average shopper enough time to make all his purchases without coming back to renew the meter," Dow explained. A two-hour limit might also attract new customers to Square stores, since it would be possible for them to park their cars a few blocks away and make all their purchases within the meter time-limit, he added.

Dow also disclosed that, at the request of the Association, the city has already begun work on a parking area between the Yard and the University Theater.

Change in Rate Unlikely

The businessmen have not suggested a fee for the new meters, but a Cambridge traffic authority said last night that if the two-hour meters are installed, the regular charge of five cents an hour will probably not be changed. At the present there are no two-hour meters in Cambridge.