'49 Names Richard as First Marshal; Ray, Nishimura Follow in Balloting

9 Others Honored as 768 Seniors Vote

William Joshua Richard Jr. of Winthrop House and Pelham, New York, was elected First Marshal of the Class of '49 in elections yesterday, Amory Houghton Jr. '50, chairman of the Student Council's Glass Affairs Committee which ran the election announced last night.

The post of Second Marshal went to Daniel Burrill Ray of Winthrop House and Brooklyn, while Dwight Ken Nishimura of Kirkland House and Berkeley, California became the Third Marshal of the Class of '49.

Class Committee

The next nine runners-ups became members of the Permanent Class Committee with the three Marshals. They are: Luis Amescua of Winthrop House and Mexico City; Robert Lynn Fischelis of Kirkland House and Philadelphia; Hiram Howell Hoelzer of Leverett House and New York City; Paul William Knaplund of Kirkland House and Madison, Wisconsin; David Eli Lilienthal Jr. of Adams House and Rockville, Maryland; Lawrence Francis O'Donnell of Dunster House and Taunton; John Rossen Over-cash of Kirkland House and Springfield, Tennessee; Gunther Karl Rosinus of Kirkland House and Wyoming, Ohio; William Dowse Weeks of Dunster House and Boston.

A total of 768 votes were cast in yesterday's election, Houghton revealed. This is 78 percent of the Class of '49. Thirty-three percent of the total votes were mail-in ballots. These were sent early this month to commuters, graduates, and non-resident undergraduate members of the class of '49.

Kirkland Most Votes

Kirkland had the highest percentage of '49ers voting (86 percent), and the Deacons also received the greatest representation, placing five men on the Permanent Committee.

Richard is a member of the University's NSA delegation, and in 1947 and '48 he was Harvard delegate to the National Student Congresses. Last year, he was also a member of the Student Council.

Ray is captain of the wrestling team, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in his junior year, and also belongs to the Band and Glee Club.

Nishimura was manager of the varsity 1948 football team and belongs to the Crimson Key Society and the Rugby Club.