WHRV Loses Van Waters' Tiff to WHDH

Students Too Young To Hear Lurid Trial

George B. Rowell, Massachusetts Assistant Attorney-General, revoked WHRV's permission Thursday to broadcast the entire proceedings of the Miriam Van Waters hearings, WHRV officials stated yesterday.

Last night WHRV broadcast transcriptions of parts of the hearing. The records had been cut and previously broadcast by WHDH.

Rowell explained he had refused permission to WHRV because Massachusetts law prohibits rebroadcasts of judicial proceedings. When asked why he allowed WHDH to broadcast certain parts of the testimony, he replied that WHDH had not brought microphones into the chambers.

Permission to Record

Last week, Claude B. Cross, counsel for Dr. Van Waters, and Elliott E. McDowell, Commissioner of Correction, gave WHRV permission to record the entire hearings. But on Thursday, Rowell told WHRV that rebroadcasting the complete testimony would violate Federal Communications Commission regulations.

He also told WHRV that the entire testimony was "not good for teenagers," but he still allowed WHDH to make edited transcriptions. WHDH presented short portions of the testimony, along with interviews of persons involved in the proceedings.

"No Jurisdiction"

Yesterday WHRV officials stated that the F.C.C. had no jurisdiction over the Crimson Network because WHRV sends its programs over the University electric wires. It also insisted that WHDH must have used microphones in the chambers to get its recordings. This statement contradicted Rowell's reason for allowing WHDH permission to record.