Hopper Hopes US Joins New Regional Pact

Women Voters Listen To Friedrich, Mason

The United States will risk more by staying out of the proposed North Atlantic Pact, now under an air of secrecy in Washington, than it would by joining, government Professor Bruce Hopper said in a speech before the Massachusetts League of women Voters at Radcliffe last night.

"The control of the world is changing hands," he claimed, "and the political strategy of the U. S. must be to keep the peace."

In the opening talk of the two day foreign affairs school, Edward s. Mason, Dean of the School of Public administration, told an overflow crowd that economic recovery in Europe will injure special interests within the United States economy, but a decline in European exports would be far more unfavorable to the U. S. on the whole. "The first year of E.R.P. has been relatively successful," he asserted.

German issues

Carl Friedrich, professor of Government followed Mason's address with a talk on the situation in Germany. The problem in Germany is not nationalism, he claimed, but to channel nationalistic sentiments along reconstructive lines. "Under the present set-up, international authority is not endangered by the Germans, but by the French," Friedrich stated. "If certain negative possibilities materialize, France with a hostile government can do a lot of damage."

Hopper, in the concluding, speech of the day, attempted to show that the transfer of power, from central Europe to the perifery states, and form the middle class to the industrial workers, can best be met by a new third power center around the North Sea and by achieving a halfway point between free enterprise and collectivism.

Final sessions of the conference will be held tomorrow morning 10:30 a.m. on "United States Foreign Policy in the Far East."