Maids May Go if New Rise in Rent Menaces College

Maids may be a thing of the past if the cost of operating dormitories climbs any higher. Ivy League officials at a meeting at Cornell yesterday resolved that students would be asked to do their own housekeeping before being made to pay more rent.

If things get bad enough students may also be asked to help out with desk work in the maintenance department, according to the resolution.

William A. Heaman, Manager of dining Halls, and James Biggar '13, special assistant to vice-President Reynolds, represented the University at the conference.

Heaman stated at the meeting that the college could stave off the new era-longer than the other Ivy schools because its unique compulsory charge for board saves money for the room-tidying department.

Food Prices Now Stabilized

The disclosure the room and board charges are now more than twice what they were before the war, prompted the conference to adopt the new policy. One ray of optimism was seen, however, in the fact that food prices have now reached a "plateau."

The conference also decided that methods of accounting in Ivy League maintenance departments would be made uniform so that the schools could cooperate in finding other ways of slashing expenses. Meetings will be held every year to discuss any new emergencies and to compare ideas, it was agreed.