Lamont Library Makes Debut Today, Sets New Mark in Functional Design

Project Cost $2,500,000

By Edward J. Sack

Lamont Library opens today.

At 8:45 a.m. the nation's newest advance in library facilities will begin serving the college.

The Lamont plan emphasizes ease in reading and accessibility to books. The functional architecture of the building has been coupled with the most recent techniques of lighting and interior design to set a new standard in college libraries.

Total cost of construction is estimated to reach $2,500,000. The necessary endowment will be over $1,500,000.

The new library is named after Thomas W. Lamont '92, whose gift of $1,500,000 in November, 1945, launched the project. Construction began in June, 1947. Delayed by strikes and record snows, the building was finally completed after 19 months of work.

Formal dedication of the building will take place on January 10 at 2:30 p.m. in its Forum Room. Members of the Corporation, the Board of Overseers, principal donors to the library endowment, and some members of the University library staff, the Student Council and the CRIMSON will attend the ceremonies.

80,000 Books to Start

Over 80,000 volumes have been moved into the new library from Widener, Boylston, and Union reading rooms. Lists of books for the library were drawn up from the reading lists of major undergraduate courses and plans for college reading.

Boylston and Union reading rooms are now closed. Boylston will give way to an expansion of Far Eastern studies, and the Union reading room will be turned over for other freshman activities.

Widener will continue to serve as a research library for undergraduates as well as graduates.

In an effort to acquaint students quickly with the system of Lamont Library, a special handbook has been prepared and will be on hand at the library.

Fearing unforeseen snags, the library authorities have sought the aid of a three man Student Council Advisory Committee to help handle complaints and questions. The committee will be headed by Herbert J. Spiro '50, with Frederic Houghteling '50 and Hale Knight '50 assisting him.

Philip James McNiff has been ap- pointed the head librarian of Lamont. He received an S.B. in library service from Columbia in 1940 and has served on the staff of Widener since 1942. Frank N. Jones '30 was selected as assistant librarian