Navy Raps Army B-36; Austria Votes Anti-Red

Briefs of the Day's News

Communist General Lin Piao swung his main forces southwest in pursuit of Chinese Nationalist troops withdrawing into Kwangsi Province yesterday.

Reliable private reports said the Communists were advancing despite strong rear-guard actions by General Pai Chung-Hsi's Nationalists.

The Reds were said to be approaching Lingling, 235 miles northwest of Canton.

The Nationalist military news agency said three armies (possibly 60,000 men) were heading north from Canton to strengthen the defense belt around the provisional capital.

Health Minister Ancurin Bevan, leader of British labor's left wing, said yesterday a general election will be held "in a very short time on a date I don't propose to mention."

It was the first indication from ministerial level that the voting may be imminent.

"The country will be asked to give its verdict on what has been done," Bevan told a political meeting here. He urged voters to think of polities in terms of principles, not personalities, and added:

"The conflict in 1949 is not between a group of Conservatives and Socialists but between two sets of principles which are being discussed, not only in Great Britain but in every country in the world.