Varsity Soccer Squad Will Meet Amherst Tomorrow

By Douglas M. Fouquet

The varsity soccer team goes after its second win tomorrow, visiting Amherst to spend its holiday with a strong Lord Jeff squad.

Coach Bruce Munro's Crimson, which has beaton Tufts and lost to Cornell, will probably be a slight favorite. Last year's Amherst game went to Harvard, 3 to 0, and since then each team has lost about equally through graduation.

The Lord Jeffs played their opener Saturday, defeating MIT's booters, 4 to 1. In beating Tech, Amherst proved it hadn't at all been crippled by the graduation of its star center forward Ben Stoltzfus. The best-working part of its team in the MIT game was the forward line, observers report.

The Crimson tomorrow will counter with a somewhat revised group of forwards. Second-string Jim Johnson, outstanding in the Cornell game, has been boosted way up to starting center forward. The former occupant of this position, Jon Spivak, will move over to inside right, and second-stringer Ted Wolf will start at outside right.

Only the left side remains the same. John Harvey and Charlie Weiss will be back at outside and inside left, respectively.

Change in Halfback Line

There will also be a change in the halfback line. Pants Panteleoni will function at right half in place of the injured Vern Berger. The latter took a bad kick in the leg against Cornell Saturday and will be out a few days.

The picture above shows fullback Rick Drake breaking up a Cornell attack last Saturday.

Poly Guyda's freshman team will also have holiday action tomorrow, traveling to Milton. Yardling inside right Pete Baker played with Milton last season when the '52 freshmen beat the prep schoolers, 3 to 1.