Bender Scrimmages; Team Works on Offensive Plays

Chief Bender took part in semi-live scrimmage yesterday for the first time in over two weeks, running with the first string line as the varsity tried its offense against Army defenses set up by the jayvees.

The bruising Chief, strong side tackle on offense and guard on defense, incurred a leg injury in the Stanford game and had seen no action to speak of until yesterday.

Art Valpey was still not sure how much work Bender will be able to shoulder on Saturday. He must still regain his speed and whatever duty Bender can put in against Army will probably come on offense.

With Bender and Captain Howie Houston running in their regular positions, Valpey had his entire first string line back, with the exception of left end Stretch Mazzone. Mazzone, still limping slightly, participated in dummy sessions but Fred Havreby took over for the contact part. Mazzone's status as far as action against Army goes is uncertain.

Emphasis on Offense

Offense occupied the major portions of both yesterday's and Tuesday's practices. The squad did no scrimmaging Tuesday and what little contact work it performed was of a very light nature. Valpey sent his offenses against Army defenses simulated by the jayvees and then retired to Briggs Cage with the freshmen for a preliminary setting of Crimson defenses.

Yesterday the stress was again on offense, the varsity going against the jayvees. In a shorter workout, the freshmen tested various varsity defensive combinations. With defensive linemen Dick Guidera and Jerry Kanter injured and unavailable this week, Valpey moved Jack Carman up from the junior varsity to fill in.