Soccer Squad Whips Cadets In 3-1 Contest

By Douglas M. Fouquet

The varsity soccer team completely reversed the form of its last two games and came up with a 3 to 1 victory over the Cadets yesterday, thus offering the Crimson some small solace for its Army weekend football blues.

Two goals in the first period gave Harvard an early start, and the team eased along from there, controlling the ball in Army zone most of the time. It was a far better Crimson forward attack than the one which feebly opposed Cornell and Amherst and lost during the past week.

Without wasting any opportunities, newly-promoted outside left Jim Johnson picked up a loose ball in the Army goal-mouth and opened the Crimson scoring at 3:15 of the first period. Later, at 19:30 of the first period outside right Ben Goldstern passed beautifully to center forward Ted Wolf in what looked like the best-executed Crimson play in the year.

Another in Third

Nothing outside of aimless midfield volley went on during the second quarter, but at 6:45 of the third period Goldstein gave Harvard a 3 to 0 lead wish a hard shot from 20 feet out. His pass came from inside right Jon Spivak.

Army's lone goal was scored at 14:05 of the third quarter when the Cadets second-string center forward Ted Casas bested Crimson goalie Whoop Batchelder on a penalty shot.

Munro Comments

Harvard coach Bruce Munro, who followed the game in his customary up-the-field, down-the-field fashion, still claimed weak spots after the game, despite his players' obvious superiority.

"They played 22 minutes of excellent ball in the first quarter; they played soccer as it should be played," Munro said. "But the rest of the game was spotty and too much like coasting."

Nevertheless, Munro couldn't help bar be happy over the way his newly-organized line operated. With Ted Wolf as center forward and Jon Spivak and Ben Goldstein back at their natural positions of inside and outside right, the Crimson attack was at its season's strongest.

The Harvard lineup:

Batchelder, g; Scully, lfb; Drake, rfb; Miller, lhb; Panteleoni, chb; Harros, rhb; Johnson, ol; Weiss, il; Wolf, cf; Spivak, ir; Goldstein, or.