Salzburg Seminar Sets $300,000 as Fund Goal

Money Needed to Assure Five Year Operation; Plans Made For Winter Studying in USA

In two all-day sessions over the weekend, the Salzburg Seminar voted to continue operations in Europe for live years. To guarantee the long-range commitment, the annual meeting approved the immediate undertaking of a fund drive for $300,000.

Professor John Finch of Dartmouth College, the Executive Director of the Seminar, will lead the money raising campaign. He will be assisted in the United States by past and present members of the Seminar faculty and staff. Former students will seek financial support for the Seminar in England, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Holland, and Belgium.

Money a Mainstay

It is felt that financial stability will allow more effective planning for the future of the Seminar as well as decreasing the expense and difficulty of annual drives to meet yearly expenses.

The meeting also approved a Studies Program for the winter. Seven monthly sessions are scheduled, each of which will be attended by 50 European students. November has been set aside as a general month, with visiting lecturers on American subjects.

A January session is being arranged on International Economic Planning directed by an American economist assisted by two of the leading economies students at last summer's Seminar--English and Danish. A conference on American education has been tentatively scheduled for February.

March will be devoted to study of American History and Literature under the direction of Professor Thomas H. Vance of Dartmouth. Sociology is the subject of the April conference, while May is set for Art and Music, led by David Diamond, and June for Theater conducted by Eric Bentley.

According to the Director, the enlarged Winter Program will prepare more students for the intense work of the summer Seminar and better meet the need for knowledge about the U.S. in Europe.

At the close of the meeting, Finch stressed the importance to the Seminar of the Student Council sponsorship as a valuable link between American and European students.

Yesterday's meeting of the Executive Committee made nominations for next summer's faculty. The Seminar will invite two professors in each of the fields of American History, Economics, Literature, and Social Relations, and one each in Music, Philosophy, and Government.