Solution Seen Tomorrow In Advocate Split

New Magazine Sets Its Plans; Advocate Meets to Resolve Remaining Internal Schism

The internal split in the Advocate which led to the formation last Thursday of a new Harvard magazine by three ex-Advocate editors, is expected to be settled tomorrow night at a meeting of the older magazine's full board of editors.

The meeting is called to elect a successor to President Lloyd S. Gilmour Jr. '50, who is resigning because of a six-course work program.

Central issue in the schism was whether the Advocate was too "arty," as the three editors--A. Chase Shafer '51, William E. Wiggin '50, and Norris W. Darrell '51--who resigned Thursday claimed.

Not Completely Healed

Gilnour and Donald A. Hall '51, present Pegasus of the magazine, maintained that "The Advocate's policy of running short stories, criticism, and poetry needs no defense since the Advocate . . . (has a) responsibility to serve as a medium for the expression of undergraduate literary talent."

But the resignation of three of the chief objectors to the Advocate's policy has not completely healed the split.

Warren C. Moffat '51, acting treasurer, has indicated that he feels the magazine has still not "progressed far enough," and that he hopes for "more articles, more humor, and less artiness."