Record 1200 Pints Is Aim Of PBH in '49 Blood Drive

Phillips Brooks House will seek 1200 pints of blood in the next two and a half weeks in response to an emergency appeal from the Massachusetts Red Cross.

The emergency was discovered last Friday when the Massachusetts blood bank, which usually gives blood free to whoever needs if, announced that it was refusing requests because of a low supply.

William K. Polk '51, publicity director of the drive said yesterday that the campaign will proceed on a unitary basis this year, with quotas and house captains assigned to each house and dorm.

Door Sllis

Committee members and house captains will slip signup blanks under every door in the University this afternoon and will place deposit boxes for them in all dining halls tonight. Solicitors will also canvass tomorrow afternoon.

Last year's drive ran into difficulty because the Massachusetts State Legislature refused to allow minors to donate blood without their parents' permission.

This year, the committee will mail a stamped, return-address envelope with a permission slip and a Letter of Explanation to the parents of all those under 21 who have indicated a desire to donate.

Polk, last night pointed out one advantage of donating blood:

"If you donate blood in this campaign, you will receive a card from the Red Cross that will entitle you to free blood from any Red Cross blood bank in the country, should you need it," he said.

Blood usually costs $30 to $40 a pint.

Marilyn Coverly of Eliot Hall will lead the Radcliffe section of the drive. Actual donations will be made at Phillips Brooks House November 7 and 8.