Soccer Team Beats Tufts by 4-1, in Easy Season Opener

By Douglas M. Fouquet

At least the Crimson soccer players enjoyed themselves Saturday afternoon, for Bruce Munro's team didn't have to light very hard to whip Tufts 4 to 1, in the opening game of the season.

The contest was played before a crowd of 200 Tufts coeds and brown-beanied Freshmen at Alumni Field in Modford.

Tufts started bravely enough, but soon ran out of gas. Most of its attack was led by one-time All-New England Rick Morris, just returned to college, and observers agreed that Morris has decidedly slowed up since he last played.

Harvard All the Way

On its part the Crimson was clearly superior, keeping the ball in Tufts' zone most of the way. The expected "first-game" mistakes materialized, but good performances were turned in by forwards Jon Spivak, Charlie Weiss, and Ben Goldstein, fullback Rick Drake, and goalie-captain Whoop Batchelder.

Spivak, in his first game as center forward, monopolized the scoring of the first half, booting in balls at 5:35 and again at 19:20 of the second quarter to give the Crimson a 2 to 0 half-time lead.

Morris Scores

Six minutes into the third quarter, Tufts Morris sneaked down the let side and beat goalie Batchelder from 20 yards out. But two more Harvard goals insured the game.

At 7:40 in the fourth quarter, second-string inside left Jim Johnson scored his first varsity goal when he cut across the center of the field and kicked a high one past Tufts goalkeeper Leonida Borghi. Ted Wolf scored rarity, was good at 15:05.

Despite their slow-healing injuries, Weiss and Goldstein played almost all the way for Harvard. After the game, however, Coach Munro feared they might have put themselves back a week by playing with injuries.

The summaries:

The Harvard lineup: Batchelder, g; Harrop, rfb; Drake, lfb; Bell, rhb; Panteleoni, chb; Miller, lhb; Goldstein, ro; Drehmel, ri; Spivak, cf; Weiss, li; Harvey, lo.