Early Brown Score Sets Victory Pattern

By Peter B. Taub

Brown, beaten about and generally abused by most of her football playmates up until the very recent past, has a fairly capable team this year. This became evident shortly after Saturday's game started, as Rip Engle's able young men immediately put the Harvards in an unenviable position and kept the upper hand for the rest of the afternoon. They ultimately won, 28 to 14.

Thus, the Crimson goes into its final week of practice, and when that is over, it meets Yale with only one previous victory-the first time in Harvard football history this has happened. You could usually count on Brown and at least one other successful Saturday afternoon before the Yale game.

But Brown seemed to take everyone by surprise. Joe Paterno's short pass to Frank Mahoney and his long one to Chuck Nelson covered 67 yards altogether, and it was a simple thing for Paterno to sneak over from the three-yard line.

Long Drive

A Crimson drive from its own 20 stalled on the Brown 47, and the Bruins proceeded from their 20 to their second touchdown. Harvard's longest push of the games came in the second period when it went 80 yards to score.

The turning point, one of the more obvious of the season, came in the third period and eliminated an excellent chance to tie the score. Harvard took the kick-off opening the second half and went all the way to the Brown three. An unintentional clipping penalty stopped the attack, for the Crimson could never get moving after that. The Lowenstein-to-Henry "transcontinental" pass play produced Harvard's final touchdown.

Brown made most of its ground yard-age through the guards, as so many of Harvard's opponents have done this year. Except for the final goal line stand in the third period, Harvard's defense was unimpressive.

Sturdy tackle Will Davis played one of his best defensive games, covering his position well except for one sequence and making many stops outside his area. Both ends performed capably-Stretch Mazzone, who has developed over this season into an excellent defensive end, and Pete Leavitt. The backers-up, Phil Isenberg and Paul O'Brien, also worked commendably, but the big Bruin line found it too easy to open holes in the Crimson forward wall. For a while, Howie Houston looked great on defense.

On offense, Harvard's blocking was indecisive and in too many cases failed to take out the line-backer. Charlie Bryson, one of the backers-up, made a host of tackles. The willowy Mahoney and Bill Altieri, the other end, were also difficult to block.

The rushing figures are significant: Brown gained 345 yards to Harvard's 109, and the locals had three drives falter in Brown territory. Engle would frequently have three big tackles in his defensive line-Walters, Hill, and Colo-throw in Chernak and Hodosh, and it was just too much.