Capt. Bonney Gives Answer To YP Charge

Progressives Claim Bonney Is Hedging; Will Try to Stir Up Protest Over Loyalty Pledge

Captain Carroll T. Bonney, commander of the College Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps unit, said yesterday that he did not doubt the sincerity of the Young Progressives and that he thought they were trying to benefit the country.

Bonney was replying to the Young Progressives' domand Sunday that the Navy either abolish its loyalty oath requirement for NROTC students or remove its units from the colleges. He said he does not consider the YP's demand to be of "any importance." He added, "They would probably be the first to join up in the event of a national emergency."

At the outbreak of the last war, Bonney pointed out, members of the Yale Peace Society, a group with views similar to those of the Young Progressives, were the first Yale students to enlist.

Progressives Counter

Later last night, Lowell P. Beveridge '52, president of the Young Progressives, and John A. Balley '51, treasurer, said they thought Bonney's statements were irrelevant to the question and that any rebuttal by the Progressives would be similarly irrelevant.

Balley said his organization is planing an attempt to get every person in the University who agrees with the YP stand to demand that the University do something about the oath requirement.