Grad Students Ask Opening of Parking Spaces

The Graduate Student Council will seek to have eight University parking spaces thrown open to students at night, Frank H. Parker 3G, council member, announced last night.

The Student Welfare Committee of the council hatched the plan in response to numerous complaints on the part of grad students concerning inadequate parking facilities.

Favorable administrative response to the plan was received Monday, when Parker saw Reginald Phelps, Secretary of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Phelps will approach vice-President Reynolds and the University police on behalf of the council. If they approve of the idea, details will be ironed out and the plan will be put into operation as soon as possible.

One Little Hitch

The major impediment to implementation to the plan is that most parking spaces must be cleared by 7:30 a.m. to make room for University employees' cars, Phelps said. State regulations may force the University to charge students for use of the lots, he added.

The spaces that the council has requested permission to use are all located in the grad school area. They include the lots behind Perkins and Conant Halls, Littauer, Mallinckrodt, Langdell, and the Physics, Biological, and Nuclear Laboratories.