Shepard Quintet Scrimmages Tech In long Workout

Coach Norm Shepard's varsity basketball team scrimmaged against MIT last night at the Blockhouse, in its first formal workout for the season's opener against Tufts Saturday, December 3.

Shepard kept his charges going against the Techmen for more than two hours, trying out different combinations of players and stressing his co-ordinated, fast break attack.

The Crimson players, pared don to 21 Friday following a probably final cut, showed well in the scrimmage; they scored easily against a weaker MIT defense. Shepard frequently centered his offense on a double pivot, pairing two of his three tall men, Bill Prior, John Rockwell, and Ed Smith, in the slot.

Sophomores Look Good

Several of last year's fast freshmen figured importantly in Shepard's attack, with Gerry Murphy and Bill Hickey cutting in frequently to set up plays or to take quick lay-ups. Other sophomores who should see a lot of court action are Jim Downey and Jim Stevenson, both of whom fit nicely with Shepard's fast ball philosophy.

The team kept to a tight man-to-man defense in the scrimmage. Jim Gabler and Rockwell were outstanding on the protection end, snaring frequent rebounds off the backboards.

The MIT scrimmage marked an unofficial end to an 18 game losing streak carried over from last year when the team was coached by Bill Barclay.