SAE Sees No Early Changes In Present Admission Policy

No immediate results are likely in the membership policy of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, the College's only fraternity, from a resolution adopted this weekend by the National Interfraternity conference to eliminate discrimination in fraternities, Peter N. Tugman '50, president of SAE, said last night.

Recommendations applying to changes in the constitution must be considered for a year, Tugman explained. "The National Conference's statement, however, is in line with current sentiment against discrimination in college fraternities," he added.

Tugman stated Tuesday that the local chapter of SAE had gone on record against bias in a national SAE convention last summer.

Dean Bender commented that the College does not interfere with the membership policy of undergraduate clubs except to specify that they must be Harvard men. He noted that concern with social clubs is unnecessary because of the small part they play in the College scene.

SAE is allowed to maintain its national affiliation, Bender explained, because the present ruling that Harvard organizations must be independent of outside organizations was made after SAE organized.

The Student Council will consider a revised set of rules for undergraduate organizations at its weekly meeting tonight. References to the problem of discrimination are probable at the meeting