Tufts Pre-Law Men to Study In Law School

Will Attend Medford College Three Years, Go to Law for Two, Spend Two Commuting

Pre-Law students at Tufts will attend Harvard Law School even before they finish college, according to a new plan announced Saturday by Leonard Carmichael, Tufts president.

The arrangement, which starts in September, will allow the students to study at Tufts for three years and then switch for two years to the Law School. In their sixth and seventh years they will do part of their work in Medford and part in Cambridge, commuting between the two cities.

"Do Most Good"

The purpose of the plan is not to shorten the overall time required for the degrees of A.B. and LL.B., but to place fourth-year college work where it will do most good for a law student.

Dean Griswold of Harvard said several other colleges already use the plan, and that it has just been extended to Tufts. The students participating in the arrangement will still have to be accepted by the Law School.

Because both degrees will be awarded at the end of seven years, it is possible for a man to go to college for three years, attend the Law School for two more, and then, for either scholastic or financial reasons, leave school and never receive a diploma at all.