Varsity Track Impressive in Practice Meet

If team scores had been kept for the informal track meet in Briggs Cage Saturday, Jaakko Mikkola's varsity squad would have won a clear victory over Boston University and Northeastern.

Outstanding performances by Crimson runners in all distances were the most encouraging indication of a most encouraging afternoon, Jaakko said after the meet. The addition of a host of sophomores to this year's running squad has converted the running department from a very weak unit to what appears to be a powerhouse.

Outstanding sophomore performances included: a first in the dash by Dick Weiskopf, a first in the 1000 by Dave Cairns; a close second in the 3/4 mile by Dave Gregory, who ordinarily runs a longer distance; a second in the hurdles by Charlie Durakis; a second in the 35-pound weight throw by Dick Rubin; and a third in the broad jump by Bill Geick.

Veteran sprinter Harvey Thayer and sophomores Tom McGrath and Ron Berman took three out of four heats in the 600-yard dash. No final was run off.

Joe Leeming lost a colse mile-and-a-half race to Phillips of BU, Harvard's Everett taking third. George Williams and Lockett took seconds in the 1000 and pole vault respectively.

Captain Jeff Tootell, Don Trimble, and Jerry Kantner swept the shotput and Tootell and Eric Stromsted placed third and fourth in the weight behind BU's Black and Harvard's Rubin.