Swordsmen Duel Bowdoin Today, In Season Debut

The winter sports season opened three months ago, but the varsity fencers will play their first meet this afternoon. It's against Bowdoin, at 2 p.m., in the Blockhouse.

Coach Rene Peroy, who never has time to scout, doesn't know a thing about the Bowdoin team. He is confident of his own squad, though, and predicts that "they won't do too bad." For Peroy, this is going out on a limb.

Gay Is Back

The best part of the meet ought to be the saber event. Last year's captain. John Gay, returned from a vacation in Maine last month and has spent most of his time practicing in the Indoor Athletic Building. A real slam-bang artist, Gay will fence as number one man in sabers.

Corncll Tomorrow

Tomorrow afternoon the swordsmen will meet Cornell, and then go on to a half-dozen more meets. The Cornell game will introduce the "electric epee," which automatically records touches with a flashing light and buzzor. Peroy said yesterday that the wired-up fencers are "quite a sight."

The Harvard lineups: Foils: Rancy, Verd, Arp, Epee: Ager, Constable, Yates. Saber: Gay, Masterson, Carter.