Law Forum's Experts Mull Asiatic Policy

Pound Seeks U.S. Support of China Nationalists; Malone, Fairbank, Reischauer Speak

"It is a condition, not a theory, that confronts the United States in Asia today," Roscoe Pound, former Dean of the Law School, said last night at the Law School Forum in Rindge Technical High School Auditorium.

"A New Foreign Policy for Asia?," was discussed by Dean Pound, recently returned from serving as legal adviser to the Minister of Justice in the Republic of China; John K. Fairbank '23, professor of History in the department of regional studies on the Far East; George W. Malone, Republican senator from Nevada on the Committee Mission to Indonesia; and Edwin O. Reischauer, professor of History and State Department adviser on Japan.

Dean Pound said there are only three alternative policies for China: support of the national government, which is not yet dead; isolationism; or supporting the Communists, hoping to bargain them out of their relations with Russia.

Dean Pound concluded that we must follow the first alternative in order to have a consistent policy of supporting all constitutional governments which recognize basic human rights.

Fairbank's Policy

Professor Fairbank maintained that although foreign policy should be worldwide, its application must be varied to meet local circumstances. In China, he said our policy must be to support Chinese nationalism.

Professor Reischauer said that we must concentrate on utilizing industrial Japan to build up an Asiatic economy.

Senator Malone maintained that it is foolish for the United States to attempt to raise the standard of living in Asia and other countries by lowering its own standard. He proposed continuing the fundamental principle of the Monroe Doctrine and applying it to the world.