Sextet Favored in Big Three Opener Tonight at Princeton

By Douglas M. Fouquet

A varsity sextet which had whipped through four straight victories until Dartmouth proved a little too strong Wednesday night, travels to Princeton today for a comparatively easy match that will open the 1949 season's Big Three hockey.

In the battle tonight at the Tigers' Baker Rink, the Crimson skaters are heavy favorites. Not only is the varsity now playing its best hockey of the year-despite the Dartmouth setback-but its winters' record far surpasses Princeton's spotty season of six wins in 16 tries.

First line wing Bill Garrity, who aggravated his broken toe in the Dartmouth game, will be resting tonight and Charley Coulter will fill his left wing position. Elsewhere the varsity lineup remains the same as Wednesday except that Johnny Chase and not Bill Yetman will make the trip as second-string goalie.

Princeton's squad, which in the words of Coach Dick Vaughan is not nearly "so well loaded" as the Crimson, has been hindered all season by injuries. This, accompanied by mediocre and inconsistent play, accounts for the Tigers' present position in the Pentagonal League cellar.

In the way of actual performance, the Tigers' few wins have been over such teams as Hamilton, Williams, and Clarkson, while they have lost to Army, Brown, and BU-squads the Crimson has been able to beat.