The Moviegoer Down To The Sea In Ships

At the Metropolitan

By Arthur R. G. solmason

20th Century-Fox's latest over-advertised bid for immortality is a sea story which can be classified as a pitiful imitation of "Captains Couragous." The plot, ostensibly concerned with the New Bedford whaling industry in the 1880's, is actually a dull treatise on child psychology and the problem of duty versus humanity.

It seems that Lionel Barrymore, an old whaling captain, can't take his grandson, Dean Stockwell, back to sea unless the latter passes his fourth grade examinations. Master Stockwell fails them, but a sympathetic principal fixes up the mark, thus permitting the boy to ship over. This takes care of a quarter of the film. At sea, there is a struggle between the old captain and the young first mate over the education of the boy, plus a few adventures with whales and icebergs, which are covered so quickly and superficially that one wonders why the directors bothered to fill their studio tank.

Barrymore, as the old sea-dog, is no different from the old doctors, judges, mayors, and philosophers of his earlier vehicles. Needless to say, he is fish food before the movie ends. Young Stockwell spends most of his time gaping at the adults, his eyes brimming with tears. Next to Margaret O'Brien, he is undoubtedly the most disgusting child to appear on the screen. If Dean and Margaret ever get into the same picture, God help us--everyone. Richard Widmark plays the first mate competently, but without much interest. "Down to the Sea in Ships" is this week's best movie to avoid.