Reynolds Vetoes Survey Of College Dining Halls

Calls Council Poll Inadequate; Claims It Gives No Evidence For Holding Food Cheek-Up

By Fred B. Little

Vice President Reynolds has turned down the Council's recommendation that the dining halls obtain "professional outside assistance" in an effort to improve food, it was learned last night.

The Council reaffirmed its desire for a food survey last week after the results of a college-wide poll had shown a four to one majority in favor of a survey.

Reynolds gave the Council several reasons for rejecting the idea of a survey at an informal meeting Wednesday afternoon. At that time, it was reported, he said there was no real need for a survey, and, in his opinion, the results of the Council's poll did not indicate such a demand.

When the Council discussed a food survey with Dean Bender in December, he said that the University "might order a study" if the Council poll presented solid basis for the feeling that something was wrong. Reynolds, it was learned, told the Council on Wednesday that he did not believe that the purpose of the poll was to indicate undergraduate desire for a survey of the dining halls.

Poll Not Adequate

Reynolds stated that he believed the Council's poll did not explore the issues adequately, it was learned.

(The questionnaire was written by Charles R. Brynteson '50, co-chairman of the Council's Student Welfare Committee, with the cooperation of Charles F. Mosteller, associate professor of Mathematical Statistics. When it was released, Brynteson said that Dean Bender had approved it, and had indicated that its results would be used in determining University policy.)

Reynolds told the Council that the question which resulted in a four to one demand for a dining halls survey was much too general, it was reported. He claimed that a survey might make suggestions that would improve food, but would also raise the board rate. The two to one majority that favored improved food to lower cost only indicates that students want better meals, Reynolds added.