Six Tops Yale, 8-3, Will Tackle Indians Tonight

Five Goals in 3rd Period Clinch Win; Pentagonal Loop Title Tilt Opens in Arena at 8:30

By Donald Carswell

The varsity hockey team scored five goals in the third period against Yale Saturday night, won the game, 8 to 3, and thereby gained the right to meet mighty Dartmouth for the Pentagonal League title in the Arena at 8:30 p.m. tonight. Both teams now have identical 6 and 2 records in league play.

The second Yale game was rough, confusing, and played on the New Haven Arena's pencil-shaped ice surface, but it followed fairly closely the pattern of most recent Crimson games. The team played uncoordinated, indecisive hockey for two periods, then caught fire in the final 20 minutes and turned a close game (it was tied three all at the beginning of the third period) into a rout.

Yale Goaile Demolished

Timeouts and injuries were numberless. At five minute of the first period, third line center Joe Kittredge crashed into the corner of the Yale cage, broke it loose from its moorings, and upset Eli goalie Jimmy Burns, who fell and cracked his skull first against the meandering cage and then against the ice. Burns was revived quickly but was forced to quit the game.

Shortly afterwards second line center Myles Huntington got an Eli shoulder in the face and was removed to the dressing room for treatment of a badly broken nose. He was equipped with a Buck Rogers helment and insisted on finishing out the game.

Minor injuries were suffered by Bill Yetman, who cracked his head on the ice, and by one of the referees who accidentally bounced his head off the boards.

Hectlo Third Period

In the hectic third period two minor fights broke out, Kittredge and Tom Moseley being the Crimson players involved, but no penalties were called. For the record no penalties being called seemed to be the order of the day in New Haven, as Yale players made copious use of the elbow as an offensive weapon and both sides engaged in aimless tripping and charging.

The one instance Messrs. Edward French and J. Walter Coffee abided scrupulously by the rules, they inadvertently set up two of Yale's three scores. At about 7:30 of the second period, Jack Carman was banished to the penalty box on the rarely called infraction of board checking. Seconds later he was joined by Lew Preston on a similar charge. Two men to the good, Yale's first line put tremendous pressure on goalie Yetman and scored twice to go ahead, 3 to 2.

Though Huntington and tied up the game in the second period, the Harvard offense did not begin to roll until the final frame. At 6:12 Huntington took a long shot. Moseley grabbed a rebound and shot, then snared the second rebound and scored.

At 12:51, Kittredge took a puck at the blue line, passed to Bob DiBlasio, took his pass back, and set up the goal for DiBlasio with a goal mouth pass.

But the seventh score was the one which broke the Elis hearts. As Kittredge and a Yale defenseman were engaging in an unofficial wrestling match in front of the goal, second string Yale goalie Nordy Knox came out to help his side. With the nets left unguarded, DiBlasio swept in and scored easily.

Four and Five to One

As for tonight's game, the wiseacres were offering four and five to one odds on the sextet's chances, yesterday. Their contention is borne out partially by the injury to Myles Huntington, for Coach John Chase used Huntington's second line to successfully shackle the Riley brothers in the second Dartmouth game.

Yet the previous two Harvard-Dartmouth games were close, and even though the Crimson dropped the second game, many observers thought only Dick Desmond's incredible goaltending saved the Indians from a loss.

The winner of the final Harvard-Dartmouth game, the third championship play-off in Pentagonal League history, will capture the Hobey Baker Memorial Trophy and travel to Montreal to play the University of Montreal tomorrow night at the Forum