Choate Team Wins Final of Ames contest

Lee, Zazas Take Honors with Appeal of Labor Verdicl; 3 Distinguished Jurists Decide

George E. Lee 3L and George J. Zazas '47 3L of the Choate Club defeated their opponents, Rhodes J. Lockwood, Jr. 3L and Milton A. Dauber 3L of the Mentschikoff Club, in the final round of the Ames Competition last night.

The case on the docket in Langdell Hall was Fredericks Brothers vs. The Amalgamated Brotherhood of Plumbers and Steamfitters, and the dispute centered on whether a union was justified in picketing a firm which had no union employees and was able to undercut companies with which the union had agreements.

Argue Freedom of Speech

Lee and Zazes based their arguments on the right of the union to freedom of speech and cited anti-injunction laws to point up their appeal for a reversal of a lower-court decision restraining the union from picketing. Lockwood and Dauber, for the company, claimed that the union was trying to force their clients out of business and was therefore not entitled to the protection of the laws in its picketing activities.

The three-man tribunal before which the case was argued consisted of Hon. Carl V. Weygandt, Chief Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court, Hon. Stanley F. Fuld, Associate justice of the New York Court of Appeals, and Hon. Laurence I. Duncan, Associate Justice of the New Hampshire Supreme Court.

Justice Weygandt, in presenting the decision, praised the preparation of briefs and declared that "counsel on each side have done a very excellent piece of work."