Dean Sherman Elucidates

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

On Tuesday, March 1, the CRIMSON carried a story headlined " 'Cliffe Can't Waive D.P.'s Tuition Fees." In an attempt to clarify the situation with respect to waiving the Radcliffe tuition fee for a D.P. student, I should like to make the following statement. First, the tuition fee cannot be "waived" for any student; a payment must be made, either through scholarship awards, grants-in-aid, or loans. Second, Radcliffe College has no scholarship funds specially given or designated for any particular category of students, with the exception of those scholarships given for residents of certain towns. We have no funds, for example, specifically allocated for students from the Orient, Latin America, or Europe. The scholarship committee does not find itself able to set up such funds at the present time. Third, the D.P. student will be automatically considered, with other applicants, for scholarship aid, when the committee meets in June, and if her promise warrants, she may well receive a college scholarship when the awards are made.

The statement in the CRIMSON to the effect that "Radcliffe cannot afford to waive tuition for a D.P. student" is therefore somewhat misleading in the light of the actual facts. Mildred P. Sherman   Dean of Radcliffe College