Hockey Team Tops Defensive Eli Squad in Easy Game, 4-1

By Donald Carswell

The varsity hockey team, clearly superior throughout the game, scored three goals in the second period, and added one more in the third, to beat Yale, 4 to 1, at the Arena Saturday night and take a 1 to 0 lead in the annual best out of three series.

In the first two periods especially, the Crimson outskated and outplayed the Blue, and most observers felt that the margin of victory would have been far greater except for the brilliant work of Yale's Jimmy Burns in the nets. Burns made 36 saves, halting many Harvard rushes single-handed after the Eli defensemen had been forced out of the play.

Yale on Defensive

Yale, as usual, played primarily a defensive game even after it had fallen three goals behind, checking back rapidly and confining its offense mostly to sporadic rushes on the Harvard cage.

The Crimson had goalie Burns under constant pressure, but could not smuggle a score past him until 1:30 of the second period. At this juncture, Tom Moseley and Myles Huntington swept down the ice on a two man rush, Moseley sucked both defensemen out of position and passed to Huntington in front of the cage.

At 16:14, Bob DiBlasio, surprise left wing of the third line, took a pass on his skate, kicked to his stick and slapped the puck through Burns' legs to make it 2-0, Harvard.

Seventy seconds later, Lew Preston grabbed a richochet from a faceoff deep in Yale ice and scored from ten feet out.

The Elis came out for the third period fired up with determination and for me of the period battled the varsity on fairly even terms. Crimson goalie Bill Yetman lost his shutout at 17:27 when a shot from the stick of Watson Bray whistled into the extreme lower left hand corner of the cage. The varsity countered with the final score of the night two minutes later.

It was a clean, fast hockey game most of the way, thanks to the strict refereeing of Paul Cleary and John Foley. Unfortunately for the Elis, who apparently were not used to careful refereeing, the burden of the penalty calls fell on them.

A rare foul was called on Yale goalie Burns in the third period for interfering with Harvard players as they crossed the goal mouth, but the free shot, taken by Tom Moseley, was wide of the cage.

By beating Yale, the hockey team kept alive its hopes of a Pentagonal League tie, but at the same time, Dartmouth demolished Princeton, 14 to 5.

In the preliminary, the freshmen dropped a 5 to 2 decision to BU, their first loss of the season