Memorial May Receive Final Action Today

Corporation Will Probably Act On Alumni Offer of $70,000 Tablet in Memorial Church

The University's war memorial, a proposed $70,000 marble inscription in Memorial Church, is expected to receive the final acceptance or rejection of the Corporation today.

If the Corporation does act on the alumni gift at its 10 a.m. meeting, it is probable that it will endorse the plaque, which was approved by the directors of the Alumni Association and the executive board of the Associated Harvard Clubs.

This would bring to a close 16 months of controversy, which started when the Saltonstall Committee began considering proposals for a memorial in the fall of 1947. All three groups, the Saltonstall Committee and the directors of the two alumni organizations, rejected requests of students and alumni for a more costly Memorial Activities Center and chose the plaque instead.

Official Advice

The Corporation first received the alumni offer last December. Since that time, it was learned, various University administrative officers have offered the Corporation opinions on the memorial.

However, the Corporation itself has not yet discussed the memorial for any length of time, and until today it has taken no action.

If the Corporation does not decide on the memorial today, it will do so at its March 21 meeting.