New Laboratory Will Make Study Of Child Behavior

University officials yesterday announced the establishment of a Laboratory of Human Development--a project which will study the behavior of children and the part that schools can play in preparing children for happy and productive lives.

Robert Sears, professor of Education and Child Psychology, will head the new Laboratory. John W. M. Whiting will become Lecturer on Education and Research Associate in the Laboratory, and Pauline S. Sears will become a Research Associate.

Study Aimed at Schools

Dean Keppel of the Education School, announcing the appointments, explained that the eventual goal of the new project is to help schools understand the needs, resources, and ideals, of the children placed in their care.

The first problem in child behavior to be studied by the Laboratory will be the urge to compete with others. This particular drive was selected, officials announced, because it is one of the strongest in American society and accounts for much of the success and suffering of American people.

When properly used by the individual, competition brings out the full efforts of the individual to achieve his goal, they explained, but when misplaced it may cause him to put "will to win" ahead of his actual goal. The aim of the study will be to see how such drives can be modified and put to good use by the right kind of education.