Students, 21 to 31, Eligible For Foreign Service Exams

Students at least 21 years old and under 31 are eligible for competitive examinations in the Foreign Service, the State Department announced yesterday.

Applications must be made on or before July 1 and the examination--a written test--will be held next September.

Applicants, besides meeting the age requirement, must have been citizens of the United States for the last ten years and can not be married to aliens. Those successful in the written examination will be subject to oral and physical examinations next spring.

Salaries in the service are based at $3300 and duties, diplomatic or consular, range from reporting on the political, economic and social aspects of the foreign situation through the administering of trade and commerce for the United States, the protecting of her citizens and property, the issuing of visas, to carrying out U. S. foreign policy as directed by the Department of State.

The written examinations tests ability to read and write in English, ability to read in one foreign language and to comprehend and interpret statistics, and examines an applicant's range and accuracy of information in history and economics.

Further information about the Foreign Service Examination may be obtained from Assistant Dean Arthur R. Borden, or from the Student Placement Office.