Two Deadlocks, One Defeat Greet Ruggers in Bermuda

The Harvard Rugby Club, with the experience of an informal game against MIT behind it, flew down to sunny Bermuda for the vacation and for the annual Rugby Week there. Coach Ed Callanan's forces still had a chance to tie Yale for the Big Three championship, with outcome of its game yesterday against Princeton still in doubt.

The Tigers, defending champs from the 1948 ruggers' festival, lost all claims to the title when they bowed to Yale, 6 to 0, on Saturday. The winner of Thursday's Harvard-Yale tussle was scheduled to meet Princeton Saturday. However, the Thursday game resulted in a 3-3 deadlock, making it necessary for both the Crimson and the Elis to play Princeton. A Harvard victory over the Tigers would have meant a tie with Yale for the Big Three crown; a Tiger win leaves the title to Yale. The decisive score was unavailable at 2 a.m. today.

The Harvard ruggers opened their Bermuda sojourn by playing the Bermuda Athletic Association to a 3-3 tie. Al Green scored the Crimson's try on a penalty play and Sam Adams just missed registering another Harvard try. John Densmore, Crimson fullback, played an excellent game. Another back, Mike Peabody, suffered a broken shoulder. Eddin Davis blocked a strong BAA bid for a second try.

Densmore tallied Harvard's try in the 3-3 tie with Yale, missing his first penalty kick but making the second. Yale scored on an unconverted try. The game went into overtime but was called when neither team produced a score and the players became exhausted.

In the first match of Saturday's doubleheader, the cream of the America Windies Squadron defeated Harvard, 15 to 0.