BU Rallies to Overcome Nine, 4-3

Godin Gives Two Runs In Ninth Inning as Crimson Blows Lead

By Peter B. Taub

A two-out triple, coming with a man on second, followed by a single, gave BU two runs yesterday and a 4 to 3 victory over Harvard's homecoming baseball team.

The Crimson broke a 2-2 tie in the seventh inning and Ira Godin seemed in his way to his second win of the season. He walked George Winkler, a pinch-hitter for pitcher Bill Tighe, to open the ninth and Mario Insani advanced Winkler with a sacrifice. But when Mort Dunn made a great throw from deep short to retire Ray Foley Godin appeared out of trouble.

Then, with the count two and two, Joe Shcehan smashed Godin's next pitch into right centerfield for three bases, scoring Winkler. Dick Mills' base hit into left brought in Sheehan with the winning run.

Doubles by John Caulfield and Cliff Crosby got Godin a run in the first but BU struck back with two in the second on a single followed by a walk, a sacrifice, and another single. Harvard tied the score in the sixth when Crosby walked, stole second, and tallied on Coulson's single; the Crimson took the lead again in the seventh on Godin's double, Dunn's sacrifice, and Caulfield's fly to left.

Harvard did some highly competent fielding. Coulson made a brilliant play on Mills' sharp grounder in the third. Art Chartier opened the fifth with a triple and was run down between third and home two plays later when Ike Bevins grounded to Dunn. HARVARD (3)   ab  r  h  po  a  e Dunn, ss  3  0  0  1  2  1 Caulfield, lf  4  1  1  1  0  0 Crosby, c  3  1  2  10  0  0 Coulson, 1b  4  0  1  8  1  0 Howe, rf  4  0  1  3  0  0 Moffie, cf  3  0  1  1  0  0 Mannino, 3b  2  0  0  1  1  0 Cavanaugh, 2b  3  0  1  1  3  0 Godin, p  3  1  1  1  4  0 *Roche  0  0  0  0  0  0 **Ellis  1  0  0  0  0  0 Essayen***  1  0  0  0  0  0 Totals  31  3  8  27  11  1

*Walked for Mannino in ninth.

**Struck out for Godin in ninth.

***Flied out for Dunn in ninth.

*Walked for Mannino in ninth.

**Struck out for Godin in ninth.

***Flied out for Dunn in ninth.